Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Maynard Dixon Phase

I never really found the barren Nevada landscape truly inspiring until I got to look through a book of Maynard Dixon paintings recently, thanks to Jean LeGassick. On the way home from Jean's workshop we were on the highway from Fallon Nevada north to the interstate and I could see Maynard Dixon paintings everywhere. If we had not been in a hurry to get home after 5 days away, I could have stopped and painted at least 3 paintings.

Don't get me wrong, I am not comparing my paintings to Maynard's but I see a beauty that I had refused to open myself to before. I was born and raised in Colorado and lived most of my adult life in the Moab Utah area. Scenery abounds everywhere. I resented being stuck in Nevada. I am now embracing the subtly hued grays and am excited to see what I can accomplish in my paintings.

At present I am in Arizona for the winter....also desert but more richly colored with a lot more diverse array of textures. The following painting is from my year in the Sahuarita Arizona area, a beautiful place I may add. This painting however reminds me of much of the Nevada landscape where I live most of the year.

 
Road To Somewhere
9x12 oil
 
To see more of my paintings please visit my website at ryvonnecolclasurefineart.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment